Hello. My name is Alouise. Yes that is my real name, and yes I like it. Thanks for asking.
I love to travel, but I used to think it wasn’t possible. I used to let fear stop me from traveling, fear of money, fear of time, fear of responsibilities. Anyone can travel though, and you don’t have to be rich or famous, you don’t need a crowd, or a job as a travel agent or pilot (although that wouldn’t hurt). You just need to work on that inner-monologue telling you to go somewhere.
I am an unlikely spokesperson for travel. Most of my travels have been within the US and Canada, except one trip to Mexico and a Contiki tour of Western Europe in 2008. I’m not a backpacker, although I like the idea. Most of my travels have been in 1 or 2 week breaks I take from work and/or school. Still I want to show people that the possibilities for travel are endless. There isn’t a traveling style you have to conform to. You only need to make an effort to go somewhere. It just takes one trip to get the travel ball rolling, and start a lifetime of travelling.
Where Have I Been?
This is a map of the places I’ve been so far. The blue is places I’ve been to. Red is where I’ve lived. Green is where I want to go.
Some Random Facts About Me
- The story goes when I was born my parents didn’t know what to name me, so my aunt suggested they combined their middle names. Alfred and Louise became Alouise. I love my name, I used to think I was the only Alouise in the world. I’m not, but it’s still pretty rare.
- I love musicals. My favourite musical is Rent. I’ve seen it 6 times, including 3 times in Toronto.
- I’ve lived in/around the Edmonton, Alberta, Canada region my whole life (that’s over 28 years). If you are coming to Edmonton check out my 3 Day Guide To Edmonton from UnAnchor.com.
- My first trip outside of Canada was when my family went to California when I was 12. Until that point the furtherest I’d traveled was to Nanaimo, British Columbia.
- I’m attending Grant MacEwan University in Edmonton for Professional Writing. I love travel writing, but I also enjoy technical writing. I’m currently a communications intern with The Alberta Mentoring Partnership
- My first solo trip was to London, England back in 2008. Now I love solo travel, and I encourage everyone to try it, at least once.
Where Else Am I?
Sometimes I lurk around on the interwebs on various social media sites. You can find me on
If you wish to contact me please email me: travelerahoy1[@]gmail[.]com – Make sure to remove the brackets. The brackets are there to stop the spammy spammers.